Sunday, January 25, 2009

Second-Hand Souls




This is the flyer for my upcoming show. I'm sad that I haven't started blogging about my art before. Then I realized that most of my work was in my head and not yet alive and now it is. It's amazing what happens when you put a deadline on yourself. Well there's no time like the present, right?


This is the start of the box "Second-Hand Souls". I have tried to mix up the use of the medicine cabinets. This was one of my favorites. The box is made from very solid old redwood. All of my shadow boxes light up for this upcoming show. I don't know if this is something I will continue to do in my future work. I really like the aesthetic of the lights though, it gives a different life when they are on.


If you look close you can see there are holes drilled out that will house the lighting. I wanted to keep with an old/vintage theme with this particular piece.


This box will be displaying old photos that I have collected over a long period of time. I picked up most of the photos going to salvage yards and the reuse depot. I love old photos and the mystery of them. Who are these people? Why would someone throw these pictures out? What happened to them.
Most of my real family is gone or died before I was born, I think psychologically I started collecting the photos to make up my own family in a sense. I just couldn't get over the fact that someone would throw these old photos of their loved ones out. All the stories about these people, what they accomplished, who they were just thrown out.

So this box is dedicated to those people that were thrown out and "my family".

Disclosure: I do not know anyone in these pictures, they are found objects. If you happen to be related and want the pictures, contact me. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful to someones history. In fact, I'm trying to honor what someone threw away. Have a nice day!
I will post the detail of lighting used for this box in a separate post.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I'm so glad you visited me as your work is inspiring and wonderful and I may not have found you otherwise. Good luck with your show!

    mistie jordan

    ReplyDelete