Sunday, September 12, 2010

studio time

With the show coming up soon I realized that my work space needed some major help. My old studio was in the garage.. not fun nor inspiring. It was like a dark nasty secret. It did have it's up side and all.. I could get super messy and bang things on the cement and all. It's time to get out of the garage and get inspired by a nice well lit place. It sure is going to be different without the washer and dryer to keep me company.. but it's time.

I am once again living alone, this is recent and I invite the change. I'm better living alone, my sister always said if you aren't sleeping with them you shouldn't be living with them. I used to laugh at that saying but the older I'm getting the less I'm laughing. I have never had luck living with people and I'm now willing to just make the agreement that it's my problem. Anyway... the last housemate left the room painted in what I thought was a terrible color. Imagine banana cream yellow brownish walls and baby shit brown trim and presto you have it. It has been a process trying to get all the color out. I went with a flat white wall and semi-gloss white trim. The spare room is now my office/studio. It took me 3-4 coats on the walls and 5 coats on the trim.. this is a lesson to never paint your trim dark unless you want it that way forever... ugh! NOT fun.

I decided that yesterday I would finish the painting and start making it the studio I want...then I can get to working my buns off in the next couple weeks. I wish it would stay as clean as the pictures.. and I'm still trying to decide where things will go and what to actually bring in from the garage.

Here is what it looked like when I started.. I had pretty good progress with the white but still had a ton of work ahead of me

Baby shit brown trim or what was left of it.
ooh.. it's starting to come along.


I grabbed my work table from the garage and moved it all by myself up the various stairs.. what a pain. The table has always been half way broken and super rickety. I spent over a hour drilling/filling and gluing to fix it up. I took the legs off and secured them and glued to my hearts content. I still have a little work left with it but am impressed. It's in better shape than ever before.

The beer was very much earned.


Not to bad eh? I still have to bring up some book cases and what not but it's not a bad start and finish for one day. The pictures are a bit dark but you can see it's a lovely space now.


So wish I didn't have to work today.. I hate having a second job at times. I would continue to work on the studio. bleh..


No comments:

Post a Comment