Sunday, February 27, 2011

Marlene White studio visit

Marlene is gearing up for her solo show at The Hive in March. She asked me to come by and take a look at some of the work going into the show, I happily accepted.

First I have to say that I'm always impressed by Marlene's color choices. The colors pop off the canvas with bright saturation. I'm relieved someone out there isn't afraid of using colors and can make them work. I'm still totally afraid of bright colors and tend to stick to "bruise" tones as I think many artist do.

The show is a continuation of the "108" body of work and theme. As a viewer you can clearly get the intention of the work and the deeper reflecting messages. I think the use of origami paper as a reference to prayer and self is brilliant.


I don't want to give to much away since the show isn't up yet. I also have my own interpretation of the show and wouldn't want to harbor your view in any way.

I felt honored to be invited to Marlene's studio again.. Not only did I feel special seeing the sneak peek of show but I also love being surrounded by other artists studio space. Something about another artists process is so inspiring, don't you think?

Here is the flyer front for the show.
MarchSHOW

The opening is March 11th 5-10pm at The Hive in Oakland. 

See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment