Tuesday, February 3, 2009

and then it was hung.

Phew.. Sunday was the one of longest days of my life, not really but it felt like it. After the devastation of my sweater being stolen, I pulled my head up, loaded the car and anxiously drove to Lanesplitter to hang the show. The night before in my very OCD fashion I pre-packed all the essentials in case something went wrong.

Things I packed:
Hot glue gun
Super glue
scissors
zip ties (i love me some zip ties)
light bulbs (in case I broke one)
2 masonry bits
anchors and hooks, oh my
hammer and nails, pliers
wire nuts
rope
glue stick
tape (3 different types)
and I think there is more but my head can't recall all the details.

I arrived at Lanesplitter and got all the boxes moved in just as Mike (an old friend of mine) showed up to help with the drilling. I love power tools! The only thing I didn't love is that I had the wrong drill bit sizes. Thinking quickly, I called Val to have her pick up a 1/2 inch masonry bit so we could hang the heavy boxes in brick. You are probably wondering who Val is?? Val can be found here , she's my buddy and she was there to support me (the frantic artist).

One wall in Lanesplitter is brick and the other wall is just your standard off white wall. While waiting for Val, Mike and I started to hang 5 boxes on the white wall. We were pretty much done with the white wall by the time Val came in with her hero cape blowing in the wind and bit in hand. The mounted anxiety I was experiencing was slowly subsiding... phew. Deep breath in and deep breath out, and in, in, in.. oh yeah and OUT!

The pub opens at 11 and by this time it was already past 10:30, I was worried about customers coming in and not being done. "Er.. can you mind that cord", "sorry about the brick dust in your pizza". "oh this.. yeah, it's my art". So as you can see I was trying to be timely about the whole thing.

We finally got all the boxes hung and that started the wiring process. Ugh!!! 30 extension cords, 4 timers, 2 power strips, and a shit ton of zip ties later.. I had the wiring done or so I thought. In my frantic frenzy I did the wiring wrong, not only once but twice. I had the whole thing mapped out on how it all should go down and of course I forgot that crucial piece of paper at home. (palm hits head, or as the kids call it "palm head" is that right?) So the set up wasn't supposed to last that long, um yeah that didn't happen. I arrived at 9:30 and finished at 5:30, holy hell. I worked around the lunch rush, I worked around the beginning of the dinner crowd and finally, finally finished. By the time I was done, I was alone, tired, and worn out but it worked and it looks great!!!!
Less writing and more pictures:
Not stressed at all, not one bit.. see.

The open box is "Toxic Thoughts"

warm blue glow of "Triptych"
Old fashioned glow of "Well isn't that just Swell".

"Bobbi's Last Ride" Already Sold!! That is the above picture.

"Second-Hand Souls" looks so pretty on the brick wall.

oooh.. "Triptych"

"Mended"

Detail of "Mended". One of the lights doesn't work.. but I'll fix it later.

Yay!!!

P.S. I'm not so great with my writing and grammar.. so you sticklers out there BEWARE!.. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment