Saturday, December 18, 2010

Holton Studio Frame-Makers

On my lunch break yesterday I stopped by the wood shop to visit my friend Trevor. I've written in the past about the wood shop.. if you can recall. Anyway, Trevor took me over to see the gallery/showroom that is associated with the wood shop. I know that they show artwork but I truly was blown away with their current show.

First I should tell you that Holton Studio specializes in custom frames with the highest quality of wood (fancy!). They make frames that don't require any nails or screws, all frames fit together with wood joints.. it really is very beautiful and quite the art to make.

Their gallery features landscape art from Northern California artists. Their current show features four artists from Pixar studios showing their landscape art. At first when you hear Pixar you automatically think of Monsters Inc and all the wonderful movies.. but hold on friends because this was mind blowing.


I love the cozy little entrance. 

The owner of Holton Studio told me about how this group of four friends when not at Pixar travel around together and paint or draw. I love that!

Below is work by Ernesto Nemesio - Oil on Canvas


Below is work by Diasuke "Dice" Tsutsumi - Oil on Board


Below is work by Sharon Calahan - Oil on Canvas

Below is work by Bill Cone - Pastel on Canson Paper

As you can see I was pleasantly surprised by my lunch time pit stop. I think people forget the true art in landscapes and being a landscape artist. Most of the paintings looked like photographs at first, it was a bit hard to believe they were done by hand.

Seeing this work makes me think very deeply -  I could write about it forever. I enjoy when art does that, moves me to feel so many things that words can't really do it all justice.. because I can't find the words to say all that I want. One thing that comes to me is that we are so hung up in our busy lives that we forget the true art of sitting still and taking in where we are. I also think that many forms of traditional art are thought to be something of the past, I believe it's good to take in ALL areas and aspects.. never to be confined to one genre or style. 

Below are a couple other images around the showroom.





Go Pixar!

No comments:

Post a Comment